Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What People Will Do for a Meal!

You know the old saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch"? Well, apparently there's also no such thing as a free dinner.
According to the Ruden translation, the Cena is supposed to be a send-up to the meal gladiators ate before killing each other. However, I think I'd take the arena over this nauseating spectacle...maybe.
Why is nobody complaining about Trimalchio basically torturing them-to say nothing of his slaves and his wife-the whole time with bad puns and garish displays of food? Are they trying to set a good example for their dim-witted host? Was it rude to complain about stuff like this? Or were they just masochists? The closest we get to a complaint is Encolpius not being able to eat.
Then again, who am I kidding? I wouldn't complain (out loud, unless it got too bad) if my host were being obnoxious like Trimalchio. I mean, I'd say something if my host hit his wife in the face with a wine cup, ala Trimalchio and Fortunata, but just talking about relieving ourselves at the dinner table...probably not. (My hyperactive gag reflex would do all the talking.)
I guess going along to get along is timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment